Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fabric Lines: Do you stay on the straight and narrow?

I've only been quilting for about five years, but in that five years I've seen the exponential growth of many popular designers. Amy Butler, Heather Bailey, Anna Maria Horner, Valori Wells and Joel Dewberry are some of my favorite designers with unbelievable fabric lines. I've read a few articles here and there that hint at the notion that perhaps these fabric lines are causing us to lose some of the creative process with quilting because we might pick fabrics from all of the same line and create an albeit well-coordinated but "familiar" quilt -- something that looks similar to something someone else has already created. But, what I find to be true for myself is that these fabric lines are so creative and the colors are so carefully chosen that they inspire me to be more creative. In fact, I might buy several pieces of fabric from one designer's line but I like to spread that fabric out in several quilts. I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks, so please respond to my poll at the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment